Oh this salad! This salad is one of the most beautiful salads that can ever exist! It is wonderful in the winter. It is incredibly delicious right. now. I do not peel any of the veggies, in this, and I shred them in my food processor.
The long of the short: it’s shredded raw beet and carrot in a vinaigrette. I suggest marinading these separately, and then putting them together to serve (because the carrot will all become beet colored). The combo color isn’t a bad one, but it is just far more striking if you can clearly delineate which is which.
Also, when grapefruit is in season, I really recommend a grapefruit dressing for this. Today, I used a simple apple cider/balsamic/lemon dressing, which you’ll find below.
Raw Beet & Carrot Salad
Prep-time: 15 minutes + marinading time
- 2 t dried herbs of choice (I used a combo of rosemary, fennel, basil, and oregeno)
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- 1/4 t salt
- 3 T balsamic vinegar
- 3 T apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 c olive oil
- pinch of sugar or dash of agave or maple syrup
- 6-8 large carrots, shredded
- 2 large beets, shredded
Additional Suggestions for Garnish:
- roasted pine nuts
- dollop of hummus
- Optional step: Grind the dried herbs, pepper, and salt in a mortal and pestle, until herbs are a semi-powder.
- Combine the dressing ingredients, and set aside.
- Keep carrots and beets in separate glass bowls (beware of plastic for marinading, always-as the acid may leech some of the plastic-but also because of staining), and pour 1/2 of the dressing on top of each.
- If serving within a few hours: toss each and let sit for 1o-15 minutes (minimum). Try to toss every 15 minutes or so, until serving.
- If serving later or the next day (this keeps, nicely), toss every now and again (try to toss at least 2 times), and store, covered, in the fridge.
- Serving: put in a serving bowl as I show, above (carrot on one side, beet on the other).