As the first in my Soups, Soups, Soups! installment, this is a slightly sweet version of a lentil soup. I used a combination of split yellow peas and green lentils, but you can choose any number of lentil styles for this! This is a hearty,
Soup Hint: Use lots of dried herbs as early as when you are cooking your lentils. Dried herbs can stand lots of cooking. If you want to include fresh herbs, and I recommend fresh parsley for this, add them to the very end of the soup making or upon re-heating the soup, so that they stay bright.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, medium dice
- 1 small yellow onion, medium dice
- 1 t fresh ground pepper
- 2 t sea salt
- 6 c water
- 2 veggie bullion cubes (I use no salt. If you have salted bullion or veggie base, adjust your salt content)
- 1 c green lentils
- 1 c yellow split peas
- 2 t dried herbs:
- 1/2 t dried French thyme
- 1/2 t dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 t dried cracked rosemary
- 1/4 t dried basil
- 1/4 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t chili flakes (more or less to your taste)
- 2 large bay leaf
- 3 medium carrot blended with 1 c water
- 3 small potato (peeled russet or new potato with skins), medium dice
- 1 c frozen or fresh green peas
- olive oil and cracked pepper for garnish
- Add oil to soup pot (I use my cast iron dutch oven) and bring to medium-high heat. Add onion, black pepper, and salt, and cook onion until translucent and at the early stages of caramelization (you can also add your chili flakes, here).
- Add water and bullion, turning up the heat and bringing to a boil.
- Add lentils, dried herbs, chili, and bay leaf and bring back up to a boil.
- Add the pureed carrot.
- After the pot returns to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high and cover.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the yellow split-peas just begin to break down (or until lentils are just tender).
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Add potato and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add peas and cook for another 3-5 minutes, until potato is fully cooked.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with a little olive oil and cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.