Ok… so these cupcakes are really just gingerbread. The centers fall, and I haven’t figured out how to *not* have them fall… so, to make them pretty, I just dolloped some “cream cheese” icing in the center. Yum yum YUM. The icing is somewhat loose, so if you are going to pipe, you are going to have to chill the icing and then also keep the cupcakes in the fridge. I chose to keep them room temperature, and just dollop in the center, so that they are, essentially, and open, stuffed cupcake.
So, let me confess… my food photography is still not together… and I apologize. I hope to remedy this sooner than later. In the meantime, just do this… if not in cupcake form, make a pan… they are fantastic.
Gingerbread Cupcakes (gluten free)
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Makes: 15 cupcakes or one 9-inch square pan
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or coconut oil
- equivalent of 1 egg (egg replacer)
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare muffin tins with paper (also oil around the rims of the cups, because otherwise the batter will stick to the tin) or grease and flour a 9-inch square pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the “egg,” and mix in the molasses.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water. Pour into the prepared pan.
- For cupcakes: Bake 25 minutes, until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. The centers will not rise. Take out of tin as soon as possible and cool on a rack. Ice with “cream cheese” icing.
- For a pan: Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan and ice with “cream cheese” icing before serving.