Sunday morning treat? Yes please! I had a pint of blueberries teetering on the edge of wrinkled. Voila! Blueberry muffins. More than that, lemon blueberry muffins. Yum! A great excuse to use my organic powdered sugar, too.
This is adapted from a recipe found on MyRecipes.com.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 muffin)
Cook time: 20 Minutes
Prep time: 22 Minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup agave nectar or vegan granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind, divided
- 3/4 cup almond or soy milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, divided
- equivalent of 1 egg replacer
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup organic vegan powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 400°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Make a well in center of mixture.
- Add to a smaller bowl the blueberries, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons lemon rind; toss gently.
- Combine almond/soy milk, coconut oil, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and egg replacer in a bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Alternate adding the blueberry and the milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Spoon batter into 12 paper lined muffin cups.
- Bake at 400° for 17 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove muffins from pan immediately; cool on a wire rack.
- Combine powdered sugar, remaining 1 teaspoon lemon rind, and remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice in a small bowl; stir until smooth. Drizzle glaze evenly over muffins.