Oh. Yes. I’ve been LOOKING for this recipe. I was in a bakery the other day, and looked longingly at the lemon squares.
Long no more, MouthwateringVegan says!
Thank you. Thank you. (squeal!)
Oh, and note… not from me but from the genius that invented this recipe… this is not for the faint of heart. This recipe is old-school dessert and not in the realm of “healthy.” But seriously… some times you just gotta eat the thing that tastes completely amazing (and worry about the other stuff later): the once-and-a-while treat.
Sweet & Tart Zesty Lemon Drizzle Bites
INGREDIENTS FOR BASE
For the base you will need :
2 cups (8 oz) all purpose flour (I confess I used 1 cup normal, as I ran out of this, and 1 cup all purpose white gluten free flour)
1 cup (8 oz) vegan margarine, such as Earth Balance or other of your choice (such as coconut oil extra virgin or other up to you)
¼ tsp salt
½ cup (4 oz) sugar, or stevia or coconut sugar (you choose what you prefer)
- Place the above ingredients in a large bowl, and whisk until small crumbs are formed
- Next, heat up your oven to 350ºF (175ºC)
- Using clean hands, firmly press the mixture into a greased baking tin (mine was 7½ x 13 inches – 19 x 33 cm) with your palms, doing your best to even it out. Then place it in your hot oven until slightly golden (around 15-20 minutes). Meanwhile, you can make your filling.
INGREDIENTS FOR LEMON FILLING
1 1/8 cups plain sugar (or stevia or other dried sweetener of your choice) – I rarely use white sugar, but this time I did because I was out of stevia, and it’s important not to use brown sugar because of the colour.
¼ cup plain flour
¼ tsp turmeric (for the colour, don’t leave it out)
the juice of 2-3 large freshly squeezed lemons, plus the zest of 1 lemon
just under 1/8 cup vegan milk of your choice (Alpro is my preference)
icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar) for garnishing (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor, and process until thick but smooth.
- Now go check on your base – when it’s golden and firm, it’s ready. Remove from oven, and allow it to cool down slightly for 15 minutes or so.
- Next, pour on the lemon filling, making sure it is even on top. Then place in your hot oven again, for a further 20 minutes or so.
- It may not be 100% firm when it’s ready, but it will solidify properly once it’s cooled down, and then refrigerated.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving, or over-night (if you can wait that long !). Sprinkle some more zest on the top, and dust with icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar) for that extra enticing look. Good luck, happy eating and Enjoy !