When July 4th rolled by, and everyone was out bbq’ing and stuff, I can’t lie… I did get a tad jealous. Only a tad. I sometimes miss the carcinogens from cooking with coal. And, I admit that I relent to them. I do recommend using a grill pan if you are going to try to do this (and ESPECIALLY if you share a grill with those who used their canines for what seems their evolutionary ends).
But, even if just pan sautéing (I like to bake tempeh, I admit), this is fast, delicious, and easy as… as a tempeh sandwich!
Also, check out Nava Atlas’s Quick Vegan Barbecue Sauce recipe for a great accompaniment and alternative to store-bought sauces (and one that compliments veggie-based food)!
bbq tempeh sandwiches
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches
- 8 oz. tempeh, cut into thin strips
- 3/4 c. barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- pinch of sugar
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 c. shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- olive oil mister or cooking spray
- 4 hamburger rolls
- Spread 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce on the bottom of a small baking dish. Add tempeh and top with remaining barbecue sauce. Gently toss to coat. Let marinate for an hour, stirring after 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir in cabbage and set aside.
- Spray a medium skillet with oil or cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add tempeh and sauce; cook until heated, about 5 minutes. Serve on rolls with slaw and additional barbecue sauce (if desired).
Original post, here.