Go Vegangela! Go Vegangela! Go Vegangela!
I might be making this once a week for the rest of the summer–or at least as long as the asparagus is SO beautiful. Have you noticed? Seriously.
Quinoa Salad with Asparagus, Sundried Tomatoes, Olives & Pine Nuts
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 1½ cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large bunch asparagus, stalks cut off and cut into ½” pieces
- ½ cup chopped sundried tomatoes packed in oil (about 8 sundried tomatoes), plus 2 tbsp oil (reserved to use in dressing)
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- ¾ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp reserved oil from sundried tomatoes
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly with cool water for at least 2 minutes; drain.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and quinoa to a boil over medium-high heat.Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the mixture stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and set aside.
- Steam the asparagus for 2 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Transfer the asparagus to a colander and rinse under ice-cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients in a large bowl. When cool cool, add the quinoa, asparagus, sundried tomatoes and olives, and toss gently to combine. Top with toasted pine nuts and serve.