I have not been shy about how much I love Gluten-Free-Vegan-Girl, Solveig Berg Vollan. She has done it again! The sweetener: dates. See her original post (link below) for lots of great pictures of the step-by-step process.
Happy Chocolate Monday, 4aux4oodies.
Homemade Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
makes 6 large / 12 small cups
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter
- 4-6 tbsp high-quality cacao powder
- a pinch of maldon salt
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup all-natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp maldon salt
1. We are going to start off with making the peanut filling. Process all the ingredients for the filling, except for the water, in a food processor until you have a smooth and creamy paste. Add in the water gradually if necessary. This mixture should be firm enough to roll into a ball. Do so and then set it aside in the refrigerator for now.
2. Now proceed to the chocolate layer. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until you have a creamy paste. It will not be anything like regular melted chocolate and it should be easily pressed between your fingers without it sticking. Line a muffin pan with muffins cups (I used a large version, but a smaller would be optimal). Grab about 1 tablespoon of the chocolate dough, roll it into a ball and press it between your palms. Carefully place this into the bottom of one of the muffin cup, making sure to press it down properly on the sides. Repeat, using about 2/3 of the dough, saving the remaining 1/3 of the dough for the lid.
3. Now is when the peanut filling comes into play. Grab about 1 tablespoon of the peanut filling, roll it into a ball and press it gently until you have a flat ball, roughly the size of a cookie. It should be about twice as thick as the bottom chocolate layer. Now flatten the remaining 1/3 of the chocolate dough and place it on top of the peanut layer. Make sure to press down the sides properly. Repeat on all of the cups and place the tray in the freezer overnight. Serve immediately after removing it from the freezer and enjoy.