How to make black beans better? Fry them! Ha. But, how to keep them healthier, be sure that you keep the oil very light–use only as much as you need to crisp (do not submerge the fritters). You can also bake these and then do a quick broil on each side to make them crisp(er).
Black Bean Fritters
Adapted from Nikibone.com
- 3 c basic black beans
- 1/2 to 1 cup green onion chopped fine
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 3 tablespoons cilantro chopped fine
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1/2 t rosemary
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- olive oil or vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl mash or in your food processor puree 1 and 1/2 c black beans.
- To the mashed beans, add unmashed beans, garlic, cumin, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper, and mix through.
- Add brown rice and mix well, then add corn meal and mix well.
- Heat oil in pan over medium high heat.
- Take enough of the mixture out to form a large meatball, and flatten into a patty. Repeat until all the mixture is gone.
- Fry until crisp. Again, consider using less oil. If you do not want to fry at all, these can also be baked.
- Drain on a paper towel.
- These can be put into pitas with lettuce, shredded carrots, cucumbers, etc. and topped with salsa, avocado, or tofu sour cream.