Breakfast burritos are one of the easiest things to make, and a great way to keep the basic black beans in play. Switch this up any number of ways–adding additional herbs to the bean/tofu mixture (parsley is a lovely one). Add additional veggies, sautéing them a bit before adding to the burrito filling.
Black Bean Breakfast Burritos
Yield: 4 burritos
- 1 T olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 c basic black beans
- 1/2 block extra-firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 t ground turmeric
- 1 t ground cayenne pepper
- 1 t ground black or white pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4 large vegan flour tortillas (or flour-like)
- roasted red pepper salsa
- vegan sour cream (optional)
- Heat oil in skillet on medium to medium-high heat. Add turmeric, cayenne, and black pepper and heat until fragrant.
- Add crumbled tofu and sauté until the tofu is evenly coated in spices. In other words, stir the tofu in the spices until it is uniformly yellow.
- Add beans and heat through and add salt to taste.
- In a dry pan, heat the flour tortillas until warm but not toasted (keep them soft).
- Into each flour tortilla, layer the tofu/bean mix, tomato, and avocado.
- Roll the tortilla into a burrito and top with salsa and sour cream.