The wonder of watermelon. Try this recipe with two different varietals (one yellow and one pink, for instance) for a really beautiful plate. For some hints concerning how to choose the perfect watermelon, check out this New York Times article by Kim Severson, from 2010.
Watermelon Salad with Jalapeño and Lime
30 minutes or fewer
- 3 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 Tbs. olive or avocado oil
- ⅛ tsp. lime zest
- 2 cups seedless watermelon, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and sliced
- ¼ cup basil or Thai basil, cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp. black sesame seeds
- ½ tsp. sea salt
1. Whisk together lime juice, oil and lime zest. Set aside.
2. Place watermelon cubes in single layer in large shallow dish. Pour lime juice mixture over watermelon, and gently toss to combine. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Place 5 jalapeño rings each in 4 shallow serving bowls. Mound 1/2 cup watermelon in center of each bowl. Divide marinade among bowls. Sprinkle with basil, sesame seeds and salt, and serve.