There are lots of meat substitues out there, but I am going to try to edge this blog away from the seitan/wheat gluten versions. Not that I don’t like them. Oh, I like them. As I like Whole Foods’s super creamy, very chicken-y, vegan chicken salad. But, I’ve been looking for another version. Check out the comments in the original post (below), for some great suggested adjustments to the recipe.
Vegan Chicken Salad
- 1 cup tempeh, cubed
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise ( I like to use Follow Your Heart Vegenaise Grapeseed oil flavor)
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium pickle, finely chopped ( I use bread and butter pickles)
- 1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce ( braggs aminos)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Steam tempeh for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Toss together all ingredients.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of curry powder to spice it up a little.
- And of course, refrigerate.